Friday 5 April 2013

Day 4....with 30.5 days to go

30.5 days to go?  What do you mean?  You are on Day 4, that leaves only 26 days....are you unfamiliar with math?

Yes. Yes. Yes.  I know.  I screwed up.  It happens.

Today I woke up to a snowstorm...IN APRIL!  I like the snow as much as the next guy, but when you have been shovelling the white stuff since the middle of October you get to the point where enough is enough.  I have had enough.  I pulled the kids snow pants, mittens, toques, and snow boots out of the closet.  I ran upstairs and got my own "winter deflection" suit out of my bedroom closet.  It was horribly depressing.  I bundled up my kids and trudged across the field in the blowing snow to drop the 5 year old at the kindergarten door.  The whole walk back home the little guy (three) was grumbling bitterly about being cold, the only thing that kept him focused on not turning into a lifeless heap of child flesh was getting a hot chocolate at home.

We made it back to the house and I brewed up a pot of steaming hot tea.  I opened my coconut milk, added the perfect amount and stirred.  I knew once I had the first few mouthfuls in me I would feel better.  I merrily mixed up a cup of hot chocolate for the mini tator, poured a generous amount of milk in it, and then tested it to see if it was cool enough.  I put a straw in the cup, gave it to my son, and then stared in disbelief at what I had just done.  Three days of sugar withdrawal symptoms thrown out the window because I didn't want my kid to burn his mouth.

Okay, okay, I get it, it isn't a full blown failure.  Honestly, if it had happened on day 24 I wouldn't care. Sadly, it was Day 4.  Am I completely derailed? No.  Am I going to drive off to Costco and buy the biggest bag of chips known to man?  No.  Am I going to go through the cupboards and put all the potential contraband in a box to be hidden in the garage and only dispensed by "dad"?  Damn straight.

I am also going to add 4 days on to the original end date of my Whole30.  Why?  Because I want this to be a fully clean 30 days.  No mistakes.  I need this to be perfect, not for weight loss, not for inches lost, I need it to be perfect solely for me.  I need to know I can do it.  If I have to go a little OCD at first so be it.  Crazy just means I am more fun.

In other news I will be posting a recipe for a paprika chicken tomorrow.  I will also put up the recipe for the Potato family's favourite paleo rice!  Hopefully with pictures....stupid Instagram, or stupid me for not being smart enough to use it properly.  Tonight is menu and grocery planning night so expect a post on those topics - I can even put up receipts so you can see how the Potatoes budget for this.  Or what about a post about paleo/whole30 shopping?  




2 comments:

  1. Thank you mystery person, I appreciate the compliment :) I aim for borderline average most days.

    ReplyDelete