Saturday 20 April 2013

It's Saturday!!!

I know, I did not manage to post everyday like I had mentioned on Monday.  In fact, I actually posted less this week (being not at all) then I have since I started!  Whoops!  Oh well, these things happen.  It was a busy kind of week.  Plus, my laptop battery died and, to be honest, I was too lazy to bring the charger upstairs.  Yup, it's been that kind of week.  

Food wise there was lots of deliciousness had at the Potato household, sadly I was so busy shovelling into my face I forgot to take pictures of 95% of what we ate.  Sorry people.  We did have Roasted Red Pepper Soup by PaleOMG which is amazing, seriously....AHH MAZING.  We basically ate it all in two sittings so we had well over half a pound of italian sausage left.  Which meant time to get creative so, we made this...


which is the sausage chopped up, with cauliflower rice, red pepper, cilantro, onion, garlic, mushrooms and other yummies all chopped up together.  At first I was skeptical, I am totally one of those "my food can't touch the other food" type people, but this was totally worth it.  

On the workout front it was a successful week (I think) my trainer may say otherwise, but I would hope he would tell me to haul ass if needed.  I was at the gym 4 times this week, I had intended 5, but I was helping at my son's school and missed the childcare window. So, I worked out at home, D had printed off sheets of circuit type workouts that I could do for cardio after our sessions and on my own, so I browsed through them and picked something I could do at home.  Burpees are a bitch regardless of where you are doing them.  

We also did a body composition test on Thursday which was fabulous...in a depression inducing kind of way.  It wasn't that what it said was so bad, it was more that it said exactly what I thought it would say even though I had deluded myself into thinking it would say something else.  So, I did what any self-respecting person would do....I finished my workout, came home and ate two homemade peanut butter cookies.  Take that machine! 38% body fat my ass!  Then I promptly felt sorta dumb.  I spent most of Thursday in a funk, but I had turned that around by Friday afternoon because I had made a few decisions....decisions that will shoot my Whole30 all to hell.  Not necessarily food wise, but there are other restrictions to a Whole30 that are not working for me, and this is ultimately about my health and not a specific program.  So I pulled out my food journal from December, ripped out the used pages and started over...


I like this one because it doesn't provide a lot of space, literally just enough to write the type of food you're eating. It is 6 sections (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) of which I will only use breakfast, snack (which is post-workout) lunch, and dinner.  I am not sure if you can really see but each meal block is broken down into LP (lean protein), SCC (starchy complex carbs), CCFV(complex carbs from Fruits and Veg), and water. At the far end there is a section to add your healthy fats and any supplements/vitamins you take.  Anyway, it is by far the simplest and most effective food journal I have come across for tracking whole food diets.  The key here is that it isn't calorie specific it is food type specific.

I am also going to add oatmeal back for my breakfasts every few days - mostly because I love it, but also because I believe that plain old steel cut oats is not intrinsically bad for you (Quaker flavoured oat food is another story).  I am also putting protein shakes back into the routine after my workouts along with the standard apple or green tipped banana.  See, not horrible changes but enough that it will mean I can no longer lay claim to participating in the Whole30.

I also recruited my son into taking more pictures for me.  God love my 5 year old.  He thought it was funny that I was standing around letting him take pictures of my "squishy" belly considering I do not normally spend much time publicly trouncing around in a sports bra.  Together we took the standard front, side and back shots...I will post them under the "Progress" tab along with all my recent measurements, just not right away.  Doing pictures like these is a true exercise in self-acceptance and, while I am mostly comfortable with how I look, I am not quiet prepared to expose myself that fully to the anonymous world of the inter web today.  When I look at the photos and see what I love about myself rather than what I hate they will be shared with you.  Promise.

So this is where I am today.  We still have a 98% paleo menu planned for the week and I will post pictures and links as we consume them, seriously, not like last week where I went from minor slacker to full blown slacker and posted nothing.

Here, a teaser for what to expect tomorrow....


...menu planning with my favourite friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment